Greenwood Furnace MTB Race
September 24, 2023
DISCIPLINE: Mountain Bike
MILAGE: (Short) 23 Miles; (Long) 33 Miles
ELEVATION GAIN: 2,982 ft – 4,109 ft
RECORD TIME: Kevin Campbell 3:37:17 (M) / Vanessa Fiorentino 5:11:34 (W)
LOCATION: Greenwood Furnace, Huntingdon, PA
TOTAL REGISTRATION LIMIT: 200
Greenwood Furnace State Park is one-of-a-kind, with an abundance of roots and rocks to navigate. Expect a thrilling and demanding MTB course that will require your complete attention. During the Greenwood Furnace mountain bike race, immerse yourself in the breathtaking scenery, tranquil solitude, and plentiful wildlife that surrounds you. You’ll ride on the lesser-known trails within the park, where the original loam still persists.
Overall, Session III at Greenwood Furnace State Park is a rewarding and challenging experience that will leave you breathless. With stunning scenery and beautiful trails, the park offers a wonderful way to enjoy autumn in central Pennsylvania. Get ready to hit the trails and be a part of this unforgettable experience!
Online Registration Deadline: September 20, 2023 @ 5:00 PM ET
15795 Greenwood Road
Huntingdon, PA 16652
In Greenwood Furnace State Park, this area includes parking, public restrooms, lake access and more.
Day of Race registration $70.
8:00am – 9:30am
Packet pick up will be the morning of the race at Greenwood Furnace State Park.
Race Day Schedule
10:00am: Race start
1:00pm: Finish line after race social time w/ beverages.
3:00pm: Podium and Cash payouts.
Gentlemen Expert Open (Cash Prize)
Gentlemen Expert 40+
Gentlemen Expert 50+
Gentlemen Expert Single Speed
Gentlemen Expert Clydesdale (200lbs+)
Gentlemen Expert Youth (U18)
Ladies Expert Open (Cash Prize)
Ladies Expert 40+
Ladies Expert 50+
Ladies Expert Single Speed
Ladies Expert Athena (160lbs+)
Ladies Expert Youth (U18)
Class 1 E-Bike/Adaptable
Gentlemen Sport Open
Gentlemen Sport 40+
Gentlemen Sport 50+
Gentlemen Sport Single Speed
Gentlemen Sport Clydesdale (200lbs+)
Gentlemen Sport Youth (U18)
Ladies Sport Open
Ladies Sport 40+
Ladies Sport 50+
Ladies Sport Single Speed
Ladies Sport Athena (160lbs+)
Ladies Sport Youth (U18)
Class 1 E-Bike/Adaptable
- Navy Blue Course Arrows EXPERT Long Course – Session III (31.6 miles 3,792 ft)
- Course split is at mile 8.4 EXPERT turns left; SPORT turns right.
- Red Course Arrows SPORT Short Course – Session III (22.7 miles 2,170 ft)
Choose your race…
Session III – Greenwood Furnace MTB Race
Long Course Distance: 31.6 miles
Elevation Gain: 3,792 ft
- Support 1 (Water Stop & Medical Support) – Mile 8.4 bottom of Peep on Coopers Gap Road. Cut-off is at 12:30 p.m. If you (expert rider) do not leave aid station 1 by 12:30, you must continue onto the short course.
- Support 2 and 3 (Snacks, Water & Medical Support) – Mile 18.3 & 24.8 of the Expert Course. Bottom of Coopers Gap Road and Kettle Road. You will visit this support station twice. First, you will go straight to Cooper’s Gap Road, heading for Shitaka. The second time you will come off the trail and climb Kettle Road to the finish. The cut-off is at 2:30 p.m. If you do not leave Aid Station 2 the first time by 2:30, you must go up Kettle Road to the finish. (skipping Shitaka, Deer Tick, and Beautiful trails)
Session III – Greenwood Furnace MTB Race
Short Course Distance: 22.7 miles
Elevation Gain: 2,170 ft
- Support 1 (Water Stop & Medical Support) – Mile 8.4 bottom of Peep on Coopers Gap Road.
- Support 2 and 3 (Snacks, Water & Medical Support) – Mile 9.4 & 15.8 of the Sport Course. Bottom of Coopers Gap Road and Kettle Road. You will visit this support station twice. First, you will go straight to Cooper’s Gap Road, heading for Shitaka. The second time you will come off the trail and climb Kettle Road to the finish. The cut-off is at 2:30 p.m. If you do not leave Aid Station 2 the first time by 2:30, you must go up Kettle Road to the finish. (skipping Shitaka, Deer Tick, and Beautiful trails)
Greenwood Furnace MTB Race Details
As you begin the race, you’ll be surrounded by rugged beauty, abundant wildlife, breathtaking vistas, and peaceful solitude. You’ll get to explore Rothrock State Forest’s lesser-traveled trails within Greenwood Furnace State Park, which still retain their original loam.
The race offers secluded and scenic routes with fast, flowy descents and brutal technical climbs, with highlights such as the speedy Shitaka Trail, grueling Deer Tick Trail Climb, and exposed rock rolls on the Beautiful Trail.
The Shitaka Trail is the first challenge you’ll face, a dense forest with steep climbs and technical sections. The Deer Tick Trail climb follows, testing your endurance and offering breathtaking views at the summit. The Beautiful Trail will take your breath away with its stunning scenery and flowing singletrack, with the possibility of spotting local wildlife such as white-tailed deer, black bears, and foxes.
The expert course includes unique scenery on Brush Ridge. This trail offers a rocky and technical section with tight switchbacks and challenging terrain. This trail is known for its beautiful rock formations and expansive views of the valley below.
Dutch Alvin is a technical rider’s playground featuring the East Coast Rocks for which Pennsylvania is known. Riders come from far and wide to ride these central Pennsylvania trails. This challenging trail takes you through a beautiful forested section showcasing stunning fall colors.
As you make your final descent, with your loved ones cheering you on, summon the last bit of energy you have to push through to the finish line. After a challenging ride, it’s time to recuperate and share stories of your struggles and triumphs while enjoying some laughs.
An award ceremony will be held at Pavillion One. Bronze, silver, and gold medals will be presented for each classification. Whether you’ve made it to the podium or not, celebrate your success and hard work with refreshing beverages and tasty snacks while enjoying the grassroots mountain biking culture unique to this race series.
NOTE: Riders and guests will find ample parking at the nearby blacksmith shop picnic area.
About Greenwood Furnace MTB Race
Rothrock State Forest
Greenwood Furnace State Park is a stunning natural and historic site situated in the Rothrock State Forest. Covering 423 acres, the park is an ideal destination for those who love the outdoors. It provides visitors with an opportunity to connect with nature and learn about the region’s past.
One of the major highlights of Greenwood Furnace State Park is the historic ironmaking furnace, which dates back to the 19th century. The furnace played a significant role in the industrial revolution and is a testament to the area’s rich history. Visitors can explore the historic furnace and learn about the manufacturing process that was used to produce iron.
The park also has a number of recreational activities for visitors to enjoy. Hiking is a popular activity in the park, with a variety of trails to suit all levels of hikers. The trails provide stunning views of the surrounding forest and the beautiful lake.
Greenwood Lake is a six-acre body of water used for recreational purposes. Visitors can enjoy fishing, boating, and swimming in the lake. Stocked with trout each year, fishing can be done from the lake’s shores or from kayaks and canoes on the water.
Swimming is permitted in the lake and there is even a sandy beach for sunning and relaxing. Near the beach, visitors will find bathrooms with a changing room and a concession stand.
In addition to its natural attractions, the park has several picnic areas and pavilions, making it an ideal spot for family gatherings and outdoor events. There is also a playground for children, ensuring that the little ones are kept entertained during their visit.
Campers will find a number of campgrounds within Greenwood Furnace State Park, including drive-in and walk-in sites. The campgrounds are well-maintained and offer visitors an opportunity to spend the night in the heart of nature.
Seasons of Rothrock – Session III Greenwood Furnace MTB Race provides you with:
- A fully marked course
- Well-stocked support station
- Cash awards to top 3 Ladies and Gentlemen Overall (Expert Long Course Only)
- Top three podium awards in all listed categories
- Post-race event snacks and beer tickets for riders *When alcohol permit is able to be obtained
- Race swag
100% of the net proceeds from your race entry are donated to local cycling initiatives. In the past donations have been made to:
- Nittany Mountain Bike Association
- Harvest Fields Community Trails
- National Interscholastic Cycling Association
- Girls Rock
- Friends of Rothrock
We are grateful for all of the volunteers that come out to help us coordinate and execute successful Seasons of Rothrock races. Want to be a part of the show? We need course marshals, EMS, registration table help, bikers to sweep, course markers, people to direct traffic, and aid station attendants for the Session III – Greenwood Furnace MTB Race. You’ll find open positions on the Bike Reg page. Check it out!
Have questions about a race, volunteering, or becoming a sponsor? Reach out!